Hashtags are used with the intent to discover content or allow your content to be discovered by those
seeking related content. The hashtag is, of course, something like this: #keywordorphrase.
Why Are Instagram Hashtags Important?
- get discovered by new audiences – translate into more engagement, more followers, and more customers for your business.
- your target audience finds you
Since hashtags are used with an intent to discover content, the right hashtags can put you in front of your target audience, even if they haven’t connected with you before.
Using Instagram Hashtags in 3 different ways
1: Community Hashtags are ones that, using an Instagram traveller account as an example:
- point to your product or service, e.g. #travel
- show niche in your industry, e.g. #travelphotographer
- connect with Instagram communities in your industry, like #travelbloggers
- highlight special events or seasons, like #nationaltravelday
- use locations, like #romecoliseum
- are daily highlights like #fishfriday
- are phrases relevant to what you do, like #digitalnomad
They connect like-minded users around a specific subject. They’re a great way to connect with others, improve the searchability of your posts, gain followers, and grow your own community.
|Try and use at least one from each column, when appropriate
Use at least 5 in total, up to 30.
|General, Community Building
||Branding – unique to your company or what you do
|product or service, e.g. #travel
your niche in your industry, e.g. #travelphotographer
Instagram communities in your industry, like #travelbloggers
special events or seasons, like #nationaltravelday
locations, like #romecoliseum
Daily hashtags, like #fancydressfriday
phrases relevant to what you do, e.g.#digitalnomad
4 Ways to Find the Best Instagram Hashtags for Your Account
When used correctly, Instagram hashtags can help you grow your reach, get more engagement, and attract more followers. To do this, you need to implement a hashtag strategy that tells you which hashtags to use and when.
Start with hashtags that are unique to you and each particular post and that have an engaged audience
How do you choose hashtags on Instagram?
- know your customer and use the hashtags they use that fit the content you are publishing
- follow the Instagram influencers in your nice and be inspired by their posts
- research your competitors and take note of hashtags they are using that could be relevant for your content
- find related hashtags by typing in a hashtag into the search bar and select “tags” from the menu. This shows all the top closely related hashtags and their numbers. Try and use the most relevant with the highest numbers.
- start with the smaller niche keywords with the higher numbers.
As you follow this strategy, you will learn which hashtags are the best ones for you in terms of engaging and sharing. Then you use this information to grow your list, using only the relevant ones for each post.
You can create subsets that you can copy and post into a relevant post, saving time and error.
Hashtag use is an important part of your content strategy on social media, and these tips should make you more productive and relevant to your customers.
And remember that the real goal of your strategy is to have people visit your website AND join your email list: Social media gives traffic to your site who sign up to your email list and become a customer for life!